Image tag text UI/UX-design


Pictures of phones

This is a continuation of the "Västtrafik research" project. While the company has had a website for years and an app since 2015, we found that the app has shortcomings that cause frustration and confusion for users.

As a result, completing tasks takes longer than necessary or users fail to use the app's functions, leading to reduced customer satisfaction. Our UX case study aims to solve these issues.

Pictures of three phones

Problem Statement

Usability testing through four scenarios showed amongst other that the ticket checkout process in the app was confusing and the favourite functionality was ineffective, leading to slowed user flow and confusion for the users.

Two phones in the air

Design Process

In my project Västtrafik Research I describe the process of empathise and defining. In this project I will highlight the ideate phase, design phase and test phase. The previous phases can be found in the Västtrafik Research project on my homepage

Illustration of design thinking process

Project Conclusions

In this UX case study project, we aimed to streamline our usability testing process for efficiency and cost-effectiveness. We created low-fidelity wireframes from ideas generated during the ideation phase and used mid-fidelity wireframes for testing, allowing for easy iterations and changes based on feedback.

Our solution for improving the user experience involved adding a button for student tickets to enhance inclusivity, creating a separate tab for favourite markings, and incorporating a bold and bright color for the bike alternative to improve its visibility. These changes resulted for example in a 25% reduction in the time it took to buy a student ticket. Overall, our UX design changes successfully improved the app's usability and inclusivity.

Hand holding phone

"What a great button for students”

-A student participant discovered the student button for purchasing a ticket


During the wire framing phase, we sometimes felt the urge to add more details to the design to improve its visual appeal. However, we had to remind ourselves that our main goal was to create wireframes that were clear enough to test, not pixel-perfect designs. As we move forward, I learned the importance of staying focused on our testing objectives and limiting the amount of time spent on mid-fi wire framing. In future projects, I will work on setting clear time constraints for wire framing to ensure we allocate our resources more effectively.

An illustration of a man thinking


Pictures of the team

Thank you for your time :)

Feel free to provide your valuable suggestion and comments!

Read the full case study